Beauty minimalism ‘Skip-care’ – skipping skincare products or steps, this K-beauty trend started few years back. Although it wasn’t popular like ‘7-skin method’ or ’10-step routine’, this recommendation grows by dermatologist and benefits are proven, so it is worth considering in your daily beauty routine.
🤸♀️Definition of Skip-care
It simply means minimize your skincare routine by skipping unnecessary products(steps) that offer the same function such as hydrating or moisturizing to achieve your skin best results, and also aim to avoid harmful ingredients absorbing into your skin (‘body burden’).
According to recent research, 22.3% of 1,000 Korean women responded they use over 11 skincare products per day, and more likely they have been using at least 6 to 10 skincare products a day – Toner, Mist, Essence, Serum(Ampoule), Lotion, Cream, Oil and extra special treatments. I assume one of you reading this post may agree that have been using or stocking similar, possibly more, amounts of products😋. Then how to do proper skip-care? Here are some ideas for you.
Using multiple products at one time cannot be absorbed all into your skin – waste of your money, and more seriously over applying products can result in redness, irritation and worsened breakouts.
- Identify the essential ingredients
Figure out what your skin actually needs rather than piling up multiple products at one time, and look for key ingredients that helps solve your skin concerns.
• Panthenol, Centella Asiatica, Chamomile & Aloe Vera (anti-inflammatory, soothing & repair key ingredients)
• Ceramide (strengthen the skin barrier)
• Microbiome (balance skin and reinforce skin’s natural strength)
< Product Recommendations >
(1) Real Barrier Extreme Cream (2nd Generation)
Ceramide helps strengthen the skin barrier, and contains Biome Peptide to balance skin and increase hydration level
(2) Dr.Different Cica Metal Serum
Centella Asiatica and Derma Metal™(Cu, Zn) helps soothe and repair skin
(3) AHC Hydra B5 Biome capsule Concentrate
Contains probiotics help balance and reinforce skin’s natural strength
(4) Innisfree Truecare AC Soothing Ampoule
Propolis, hyaluronic acid & D-panthenol to hydrate, soothe skin. Ideal for oily, trouble skin
- Avoid harmful ingredients
• SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate), SLES (Sodium Laureth Sulfate), Preservatives (paraben, Phenoxyethanol, BHT etc,.) & AHA, BHA – may decrease skin immunity
• Chemical sunscreen ingredients (Eg. Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate), Synthetic fragrance, Colorant, Allergens – Trigger allergic reaction and skin irritation
• Triethanolamine(pH balancer), low quality Alcohols (Eg. Isopropyl Alcohol) – allergic reactions, trouble breathing & dizziness
• Silicone oils, Polymers, Synthetic fragrance – non-skin friendly, allergic reaction, trouble breathing, skin irritation & toxic hormonal effects
*Some of ingredients may help to improve skin condition (tone & texture) and reduce acne by using proper way, just saying that these ingredients’ over-usage can be harmful for your skin.
- Try multi-tasking products
Find products that cover multiple benefits. When ‘Laneige Cream Skin Refiner‘ released – the two-in-one formula that preps and softens like a toner and moisturizes like a cream, people craze about this product, and for me I probably think Toner Pad(s) is the most convenient, hybrid product.
(1) Abib Heartleaf Spot Pad Calming Touch
Dual side 100% cotton pad that soothes, balances skin and helps control excess sebum
(2) Dr.G Brightening Vita Peeling Pad
Removes dead skin cells and pore clogging impurities while hydrating skin
(3) Yadah Cactus Toner Pads
100% cotton pad that hydrate skin and helps strengthen the skin barrier
(4) Dewytree Pure Calming Snail Toner Pad
Apple snail mucin and centella asiatica extract help soothe, repair skin and reduce redness
Personally I like big size pads and Yadah & Dewytree almost covers my cheek – easily & quickly refines the entire face (skin) surface and hydrates instantly, great for the skin pack. Would be a good idea for storing in the fridge to use instant cooling treatment in this summer season 👍
Be wary that Yadah & Abib Toner Pad cases are one-touch cap, so may leak in transit which happen to me 😟, and Abib container doesn’t close properly and it comes with a spare screw cap for travelling.
(more about Toner Pad, check here)
< Multi-tasking skincare products recommendation >
(1) Rootree Phyto Ground Purifying Cream Toner
(2) The Beautiful Factr. Essential Water Essence
(3) Huxley Oil Essence: Essence-Like, Oil-Like
(4) JUNG SAEM MOOL Essential Mool Cream
(6) Dr Jart+ Solarbiome Ampoule SPF+/PA++++
- Do Not Skip ‘Cleansing, Moisturizing & Sun Protection’ steps, Do Proper!
- Let the product absorb well
Skip-care aims to maximize results by using fewer products so use properly ‘the right product’ you have chosen. Gap 10~20 secs between each product to absorb.
- Using a booster or concentrate is also an option
Minimum ingredients products such as Niacinamide, Hyaluronic Acid or vitamin C can help your skin concerns. Apply directly to desired areas or mix 1~2 drops in your toner or moisturizer – remember oil blends well with oil-type products.
( Eg. Hyaluronic acid with watery toner or essence, face oil with moisturizer )
Applying sheet mask or sleeping mask would be an alternative to increase hydration level and improve skin texture.
- Some ingredients may need to use alternately
Certain key ingredients such as retinol, vitamin C, AHAs etc,. may not work well together. Layering can synergy the effect of each ingredient benefit, however in my opinion – best approach is use alternately to prevent skin irritation or check the product description, may warn ‘Do Not Use with ….’
- Check the viscosity
Correct order to apply skincare product should be from thinnest to thickest consistency: going from watery texture toner or (treatment) essence, serums(ampoule) to moisturizers.
- Use eye treatment
The skin around the eyes is more fragile and more prone to dryness as sebaceous glands are less than other areas of face. Also scrubbing your eyes daily due to removing makeup, causing irritation and contributing to wrinkles.
Most eye products are formulated with rich nourishment & moisturization, and pH level is close to tear pH (6.5~7.6) which is mild, so use eye cream daily or eye patches if you prefer.
Skip-care doesn’t mean simply skipping steps or reducing product numbers, do proper skincare with knowing ingredients that helps your skin condition and also wisely use what you have in your vanity. Skip-care is the ‘Smart-care’.
Thanks for reading~
Article source idea and image from 뷰 biew, allure korea, womandonga.com and each product official site.