Have you made New Year’s resolutions? I certainly need to be more diligent, posting more blogs this year 😂. Hope you have a safe and happy new year.
Continuing this 2020 Beauty Keyword ‘M.A.S.K‘ last post – Keep Cooling.
Why is it important to lower skin temperature? Rather than talk seriously based on science and fact, I’d like to give some tips to maintain proper skin temperature in general, suggesting some product recommendations.
< Heat Aging >
It’s hot summer here, sometimes scorching 🔥 and more chance to expose to heat & UV rays which can damage the skin, leading to wrinkles, sun spots and premature aging. Prolonged heat exposure increases collagen degradation and makes our skin more susceptible to free radical damage.
According to the research, 1°C of skin temperature rise, increased 10% of sebum production. Too much sebum can lead to clogged pores and acne on the skin, and also this excessive production of sebum on scalp can cause scalp itchiness and hair loss, by blocking proper oxygenation of the hair.
In contrast, the skin exposed to too much cold air may lead to irritation and redness – too low skin temperature like in winter time, slows blood flow and increases skin sensitivity.
< Ideal Skin Temperature: 31°C >
Our skin temperature – differ to body temperature, skin surface temperature which easy to change by environmental stimulates – can be increased up to about 40°C in direct summer day sunlight within 15–20 min, and this heat may contribute significantly to sun-induced skin damage (photoaging) – sunburn, wrinkles, freckles, dry, scaly patches (actinic keratoses), even skin cancer 😱
The ideal skin temperature is 31~2°C which is 4~5°C lower than body temperature. Over 31°C, our skin determines the sense of hot so more likely to increase in sebum production.
< How to lower skin temperature? >
There are some ways we can lower our skin temperature – drinking plenty of water, especially coconut water (skin hydrating), wearing sunscreen & sunglasses and use skin cooling products etc,. there are plenty of ways you can find on Google(^^;), and here are my tips I have been using and am planning to try.
*Day & Night Care in your daily skincare routine
- Lack of hydration makes skin sensitive so recharge hydration in day time
• Use face mist – 2~3 times a day (in the office)
: However face mist containing ethanol or propellant can cause skin irritation so please check the ingredients
• Skin hydrating products – hydrating moisturizer or serum to provide essential moisture into the skin, and wear sunscreen to block UV rays
2. Night care – Calm sensitive skin
• Use mild cleansing products to balance skin and follow with soothing product
(Remove dirt, excess sebum even though non-makeup face need to cleanse, and calms irritated skin from external factors in day time)
• Concentrate on cooling & soothing if your skin needs it, otherwise focusing on your skin issue (whitening, firming etc,.). Using a face sheet mask is an another option
*Home Self-Care Tips
• Stored in fridge Green Tea tea-bag or cold milk
– Apply used tea-bag(s) on the face after enjoying tea time, and/or use milk-soaked cotton pads to desired area and rinse off
• Aloe Gel, Cucumber & Potato pack – you can find easily how to do 😁
• Eat vitamin C fruits & vegetables
• Enough sleep (especially during the period 10pm~2am) – lack of sleep increases Cortisol (stress hormone) which increases sebum
• Use wet towel (ice towel) on face and behind the neck (this body part instantly & effectively cools down skin temperature)
*Daily (sheet) Mask Treatment or Beauty-Device
: Store 10~20 mins in the fridge before use a mask, not recommended to store for long (days, months 😲)
: Hot & Cool beauty device or some galvanic device has a skin-cooling function too
< Product Recommendations >
*Cooling Skincare Products
- Abib Heartleaf Calming Toner Skin Booster
2. Melixir Vegan Balancing Toner
3. Dr.G Red Blemish Clear soothing Active Essence
4. Toner Pads
• Real Barrier Aqua Soothing Ampoule Pad
• ISOI CICAGO Cica Speedy Calming Pad
• COSRX Pure Fit Cica Pad
5. ISOI ACNI Dr. 1st Control Mist
6. Dewytree Pick & Quick De-Puff Morning Mask
7. Dr.Orga Aloe Skin Soothing Gel
8. Labo-H Hair Loss Relief Tonic Scalp Cooling
< Conclusion >
Protect our skin from heat and UV rays, significantly improve our skin condition, at least prevent further skin damage. There are so many ways to cool down hot, irritated skin and it is easy to provide a blast of coolness to our skin needs – cold bath, cucumber slice, jade roller whatever you can imagine. But remember Not Extremely Cold – Surprisement wouldn’t work for our skin, it needs to slowly cool down.
My best option? Aloe Vera Soothing Gel!
Thanks for reading & hope to see you soon with new post~