Hope you found the best (water-based foaming)cleanser for you in the previous post. Then how to cleanse oil-like ingredients in makeup and sebum that our skin produces everyday? Here I have added some information and product recommendations for oil cleansers which are popular in Korea.
As you may have heard Double-Cleansing is necessary, “almost” a must-followed cleansing routine, however this double-cleansing step may not be the best option for someone who has sensitive skin or are sensitive on oil ingredients so here are some tips and alternative options.
🧽Benefits of Double-Cleansing
• Dissolve all types of makeup and tenacious sunscreen formula, leaving the natural hydrating oils behind
(Using oil cleansers help gently remove makeup and protect the natural lipid layer of the skin)
• More thoroughly cleanses dirt, impurities and makeup
• Provide quick and easy cleansing process which can lessen skin irritation
• Helps maintain healthy-skin condition
🧽How to Double-Cleansing
- Apply an oil-based cleanser(cleansing oil or balm) to your face, which will dissolve makeup, sunscreen and oil build up.
• Dispense a cleansing oil (3 pumps) or balm into the palm and apply it to dry skin, massaging in gentle circular motions
• Ideal time is 30sec(rolling) – 30sec(emulsifying) – 30sec(rinsing), this also recommended by Director Pi which is more effective and can protect the skin barrier, and to remove blackheads add 1~2 pumps of cleansing oil & extra 1 min for rolling
• If wear heavy makeup or focus on deep pore cleansing, you can extend time(up to 45sec) or increase amount of cleansing oil(total 4~5 pumps)
• Rinse off with water or gently remove with soft washcloth
2. Follow with a water-based cleanser(foaming or gel type) that will clear residue. Apply it to damp skin, massaging in gentle circular motions.
3. Rinse thoroughly and pat your skin dry with hand or a clean, soft towel. Not recommended fully dry, applying toner on damp skin which gives more hydration.
🧽Additional Cleansing Tips
• Heavy, water-proof makeup – Can be used a makeup remover or cleansing water for the first step, and use with cleansing tools
• Light makeup and sensitive eyes – Use a cotton tip soaked in toner or cream after using cleansing oil and foam cleanser, removes makeup residue
• Remove Blackheads: Use with small nose brush after applying cleansing oil, gently rub to dissolve blackheads (2~3 times a week)
• Lip & Eye Remover – most of removers contain silicone oils not natural oils, so if have sensitive eyes, better use cleansing oil rather than remover
🧽Best Cleansing Oils
Using Cleansing oils that are composed of natural oils(single or blend) help prevent skin irritation and protect the skin barrier. However, for someone who gets an allergic reaction from natural oils and most oily acne-prone skin, it’s better to check what the product contains, and try ‘Oil-like Cleansing Oils’ instead or partially use on desired area to remove blackheads.
These are recommended by Director Pi and have followed by ‘Top Of Top’ products as well.
- Cleansing oil with natural oils – Recommend for dry & combination skin
(1) Chung Mi Jung Aloe Fermentation Cleansing Oil (200ml)
• Olive oil (52.5%) + rosemary leaf, lavender & lemongrass oil
• Non-harmful ingredients with soothing benefits
• Ideal for dry skin and removing whiteheads
(2) Huanggisoo Pure Perfect Cleaning Oil (180ml)
• More that 90% of natural oils(apricot seed, jojoba seed & oilve oil etc,.)
• Moisturizing formula, Great for removing black/whiteheads
(3) Urang Natural Cleansing Oil (150ml)
• Natural oils with skin-friendly formula, prevent moisture loss
• Ideal for dry/combination skin type
(4) Sidmool Calendula Double Deep Cleansing Oil (150ml)
• Calendula Flower Oil (45%) + Rosehip Seed Oil
• Ideal for dry skin type, Great for removing whiteheads
cf. Sidmool Apricot Seed Oil has a better cleansing effect whereas contains PEGs
- Oil-like Cleansing Oil
This type of cleansing oil consists of a small amount of natural oils, more skin conditioning agents and surfactant without PEGS or silicone, the formula is lightweight and provides almost the same cleaning effect of natural oil cleanser. Recommended for those who get skin irritation from natural oils.
• The Face Shop Rice Water Bright Light Cleansing Oil (150ml)
• The Face Shop Rice Water Bright Rich Cleansing Oil (150ml)
• ATRUE Pure Balancing Cleansing Oil (150ml)
• Cellimax Fresh Cleansing Oil (150ml)
🧽Cleansing Oil Top Of Top
1. Cleansing oil with natural oils
(1) Lanbelle Natural Deep Cleansing OIl (200ml)
cf. Pure cleansing oil has lighter texture than Ma:nyo Herb Cleansing oil, and Herb Cleansing Oil has slightly better cleansing effect – both have similar formula and Pure Cleansing Oil contains high percentage of natural oils
2. Oil-like Cleansing Oil Top Of Top
(1) Round A Round Cleansing Oil (200ml)
🧽Best 5 Cleansing Oils by HwaHae Beauty App
- Yuripibu Grante Cleansing Oil (300ml)
- ATRUE Pure Balancing Cleansing Oil (150ml)
- Ma:nyoPure Cleansing Oil (200ml)
- RoundLab 1025 Dokdo Cleansing Oil (200ml)
- Ma:nyo Herb Clean Oil (200ml)
🧽2020 Allure Favorite Korean Cleansing Oils
- Sulwhasoo Gentle Cleansing Oil (Oil-like Cleansing Oil, contains PEGs & fragrance)
- Laneige Cream Skin Milk Oil Cleanser
- Neogen Real Cica Micellar Cleansing Oil (Oil-like cleansing oil, contains PEGs)
- Belif Cleansing Gel Oil Enriched (No longer available – Belif Cleansing Gel Oil Fresh only)
- Hanskin Cleansing Oil & Blackhead PHA (Oil-like cleansing oil, contains PEGs)
🧽Ideal Cleansing Method by Director Pi
- Dry to Combination skin types
(1) Recommend Step: Cleansing Oil –> Hydrating Toner
(2) Use Natural Oil based cleansing oil (Eg. Ma:nyo Pure Cleansing Oil) and gently massage into skin for 30 sec, emulsifying 30 sec & rinsing 30sec
(3) To remove blackheads: apply on desired area (nose & chin) only after (2)step, and can use with cleansing tools for better result
(4) Rinse off with water and dry skin with towel
(5) Clean makeup residue
• Apply face cream to cotton tip and swipe gently on eye & lip area
• If wear heavy makeup – use a lip & eye remover instead of cream+cotton tip
(6) Extra sebum and whiteheads: Soaked a cotton pad with toner, and place on desired area (around nose or chin) for 10sec as if having mini skinpack, or gently sweep to entire face for overall skin refining results
- Oily skin type
Recommend to use a cleansing oil 2~3 times a week or use partially (blackheads & sebum), not necessary to use on a daily basis.
(1) Recommend Step: Cleansing Oil –> Foam Cleanser
(2) Use Natural Oil based cleansing oil (Eg. Hansalim Soap Berry Cleansing Oil) and gently massage into skin for 30 sec, emulsifying 30 sec & rinsing 30sec
(3) Follow with Toner or Foam Cleanser that both contain BHAs
(Eg. 2SOL Beta Hydroxy Acids 0.5% Toner, Dr.Vancor Acne BHA Foam Cleanser, boH Derma Intensive Cica Panthenol Blemish Cleanser)
cf. Oily Skin type: generally recommended for lightweight cleansers that help regulate oil production, and specially for acne-prone skin, look for products that contain anti-inflammatory ingredients such as vitamin E, glycolic acid and polyhydroxy acids, and try to avoid contact as much as you can.
Double cleansing (technique) has many benefits and is mostly recommended at night to remove makeup and sunscreen, even if No-makeup day – still need to cleanse dirt and pollution that accumulates on your skin during the day. In the morning you can wash with your cleansing water/toner pad or gentle cleanser to remove oil build up from overnight – some people use only water, but for me? I feel like I need an action, so I use a half of cleansing powder or alternately use cleansing oil around the nose (self-satisfaction 😅).
The cleansing oil has a better cleansing effect than cleansing balm > Cleansing cream/lotion > Cleansing Foam/gel/ampoule so to remove stubborn makeup or mineral sunscreens, try different types of oil cleansers depending on your need. Have been using ‘Sidmool Dr. Troub Cleansing Milk, Banila Co Clean It Zero (Balm), Sulwhasoo Gentle Cleansing Oil, Ma:nyo Pure Cleansing Oil etc,. various types of cleansers, however cannot tell which is the best, just enjoyed what I have been using so hope you do have fun – cleansing can be joyful 😋
Also, checking ingredients in every single product can be hard, especially imported goods however we all need to know eventually if you keep getting skin irritation(s) and for the skin health . Hope some of the above recommendations are suitable for your skin, and any questions about products leave a message. Am happy to help^^
Thanks for reading bit long post^^;
*Some of sentence quoted from Google search, and this article source from Director Pi’s blog post