Facial Toner used to be designed to cleanse the skin, removing excess oil and impurities mostly using alcohol, however modern-day toners are more gentle on the skin and have additional benefits such as hydrating, soothing and anti-aging, also can be named essence, tonic or booster.
To put it simply, a toner is a liquid delivering all these benefits:
1. Cleansing (Removes dead skin cells & dirt)
2. Refining (Preps skin for the following products)
No need to be confused by the names ‘Booster, Treatment Essence or Tonic’, just pick the right one for your skin needs.
*Recommendation by skin type
So how to choose the best toner for my skin? Here is the information from ‘Director Pi’s blog – what I like about her beauty tip/advice is based on her expert industry knowledge, not teaming up with specific brands or marketing connection, as well as tested by herself, showing true results, plus she is/was used to co-operated in making a cosmetics, knowing how to make ‘Good Cosmetics’.
< For Dry Skin Type >
Look for the Gentle Exfoliation + pH Balance. Alcohol may cause skin irritation and further drying-out, and exfoliating(AHA/BHAs) steps may not need this toner step. Also if your skin balanced by using low pH cleanser, may not be necessary to balance your pH levels.
< For Dry Skin – Hydrating Formula >
This is especially for Dehydrated(Extra) Dry Skin. Most of Koreans distinguish toner into 2 types – Hydrating Formula (called ‘Mool-To’) which use with hands to aid absorption, and other is surface Refining Toner(‘Dak-To’) which helps removes dead skin cells and impurities, using a cotton pad.
If you have very dry skin, looking for Hyaluronic Acid(large molecule) enriched toner or natural oils to help provide deep hydration & lock in moisture.
< Product Recommendation >
• Round Lab 1025 Dokdo Toner – Sugarcane extract helps remove dead skin cells while hydrating.
• Is & Tree Hyaluronic Acid Toner – large molecule Hyaluronic Acid provide deep hydration for longer
• Rovectin Activating Treatment Lotion – also good for combination to oily skin.
< For Oily/Acne-prone Skin types >
Look for ‘Sebum Control & pH Balance’.
< Product Recommendation >
• U:RE Skin Eggplant Master All-In-One Toner
Contains Hyaluronic Acid and Trea Tree Extract to hydrate skin with anti-inflammatory benefit
• Lirikos Calming Pure Water – 12 ingredients, contains panthenol, excellent soothing ingredient with anti-oxidant benefit
< For Sensitive Skin >
• Mamonde Chamomile Pure Toner – minimal ingredients with Chamomile Extract to sooth and comfort skin
< Pair with Cotton Pad >
Toners can applied in different ways and it show better results if you match right type of cotton pads with each toner’s function.
- ‘Dak-To’ (Skin Refining Toner)
As the aim is cleansing and resurfacing skin texture so it’s better applying with cotton pads rather than using hands.
- ‘Mool-To’ (Hydrating Toner)
Using your hands is more effective to provide deep hydration. Gently pat to aid absorption.
- ‘Skin Pack’ (Facial Gauze Treatment)
By applying a toner onto flat, wide cotton/sponge pad or a piece of gauze, soaking with toner and leave on the face for a few minutes(for active ingredients to penetrate). Great for wide area, T-Zone or under jaw-line.
*2019 Get It Beauty Recommendation
In addition, 2019 Get It Beauty program is back and add new/hot SNS ‘it’ items to compare expert picks and most popular & sold in the market products. Here is the result:
< Best 2019 Get It Beauty Toner(s) >
2018 Get It Beauty Winners are second-time winner in this year, and proven that better function(sebum controlling & hydrating) on skin.
- ISOI Acni Dr. 1st Control Tonic (For oily skin)
- Skinfood Royal Honey Good Toner
*article source from Director Pi’s Blog and Get It Beauty Show, and image copyright myskingotbetter@blog.
Thanks for reading and see you next post~